Link building, how to evaluate the effectiveness of your strategy. Have wondered why given phrases…
CMS, the best options for your multilingual website. Are you planning to go international? If so, you should remember a few aspects.
Will definitely affect the time needed to build brand recognition and reach the expected sales level. Technical website elements (language versions or hreflangs) really matter.
The selection of an appropriate content management system (CMS) is important. How to decide which solution is the best CMS for a multilingual website?
CMS is a solution that is supposed to facilitate the lives of people
Especially for those who don’t have any web development knowledge. Thanks to it, they can easily:
- publish content;
- change templates;
- introduce new menu options;
- perform many other activities.
If you use a popular CMS, you’re most likely to be able to solve the majority of the problems. It’s possible to observe it when analyzing the most frequently chosen option (WordPress).
Does it mean that WordPress is the finest solution when it comes to CMSes for multilingual websites? It may turn out to be pretty effective in numerous cases. Thanks to the fact that it’s constantly developed. Moreover, there are many professionals who specialize in it.
Why is the selection of an appropriate CMS so important?
The selection of an appropriate CMS is important not only for multilingual websites. This choice predetermines how easy it’ll be for you to work with a given solution and what functionalities you’ll have at your disposal.
It’s relevant because of:
- SEO optimization. Google is popular all around the world. It’s worth performing activities that will guarantee high website visibility in the organic search results. A good CMS should allow local SEO activities and any modifications;
- website management. The use of a CMS should be a piece of cake. The system is unacceptable if you have problems figuring out where to go and what to click to perform a given activity. Individual functions should be accessible and easy to find. Thanks to it, both you and other people who have access to your website will be able to use it efficiently;
- introducing modifications. Implementation of simple, minor modifications shouldn’t require involving a web developer. This isn’t only because of the money but also because of the time. Obviously, it’ll be necessary to use such services at some point. But most popular CMSes offer numerous ready-made solutions. In December 2020 the wordpress.org database included about 58,000 plugins;
- costs of modifications. If you decide to use a custom CMS that is known only to its developers you need to take into account the fact that each and every modification will involve substantial costs. On the other hand, one of the advantages of popular CMSes is that you can choose from thousands of specialists willing to do the job at relatively attractive prices. Of course, it doesn’t necessarily mean that a custom CMS is always a bad idea. Everything depends on your expectations.
Best CMS options for a multilingual website
When it comes to a multilingual website, it’s crucial to take into account several issues. In this way you can select the best CMS. If you make a thoughtful decision at this stage, it’ll be much easier to manage the website. Also, you will be able to implement modifications or increase Google visibility.
Below you can find a list of functionalities that a CMS for a multilingual website should ideally have:
1. The possibility to implement hreflangs correctly
The report prepared by SEMrush in 2017 indicates that 75 percent of multilingual websites have poorly implemented hreflangs or don’t have them at all.
But what does it actually mean? Hreflangs inform the search engine that given subpages are available in various language versions.
Thanks to it, depending on the location, users see the language version corresponding to the country they’re in.
2. Unicode support
This is crucial to ensure that all the characters for each language version are displayed correctly. Without this support, users won’t see the whole content appropriately.
3. Alternative versions for different countries
The CMS should allow you to easily implement alternative versions for each country. To manage them and switch between them conveniently.
After logging into the administration panel, you should be able to create a new language version for a given subpage and fill in all the fields.
4. Sitemaps for individual language versions
A good CMS should enable creating different site maps for individual language versions. For Google algorithms, it’s a convenience making it easier to analyze website data and its structure.
Site maps have an impact on your website visibility in the organic Google search results.
5. The possibility to conveniently edit all the elements
The right CMS system should facilitate website modifications in all language versions. It’s also important to ensure fixed URLs.
The CMS shouldn’t generate dynamic language versions without separate subpages. For more info don’t hesitate to contact us!